Information presented on jobs, whether it is by industry or occupation, is for jobs that are physically located in the Central Region. Workers who hold these jobs do not necessarily live in any of the 9 counties. A company is classified by its line of business or what it does as its primary function according to a North American Industry Classification System or NAICS code. All employment at this company, as well as all other companies who are classified according to the same NAICS code, is counted in the same industry. All businesses are classified within 20 unique industry sectors.
The reports found on this page are based on industries, which provide an economic overview of the region. If you do not find the information you need for a business plan, presentation, etc., please contact the CPWDC Research Department. We can customize the information to meet your geographical and industrial needs.
An industry cluster is defined as a concentration of companies and industries in a geographic region that are interconnected by the markets they serve and the products they produce, as well as their suppliers, trade associations and educational institutions.
CPWDC routinely analyzes industry clusters prevalent within Central Pennsylvania as compared to state and national trends. Through this process of research, consensus building and validation, the following industry clusters have been identified in Central Pennsylvania (Note: these industry clusters are based on the definitions provided by the Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry):
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Health Care
- Wood, Wood Products, & Publishing
CPWDC continues to focus its efforts on fully integrating industry cluster information into county and regional planning efforts and has been instrumental in helping the region by:
- Encouraging the creation of industry-led partnerships to identify common needs and appropriate strategies.
- Identifying demand occupations, essential skill-sets and training required by these industries today and in the future.
- Providing the information needed in Central Pennsylvania to align workforce, economic development and educational resources in a manner that will allow for the maximum positive impact to retain and grow existing industry and to attract new opportunity.
- Offering the opportunity to engage the K-12 system, including Career and Technical Centers, by forecasting the region’s key industries and the demand occupations of the future and communicating this information to parents, students and educators.
- Allowing for more strategic targeting of private and public funds toward investment to provide the highest possible return for the region.
The economic characteristics of the industry clusters in Central Pennsylvania (targeted and non-targeted) are described in the following documents. Data is displayed regionally and by county in the “Industry Cluster Profiles”.
- Industry Cluster Initiative Overview – defines the concept of industry clusters and how the CPWDC is using industry cluster data.
Industry Cluster Sheets - examines Central Pennsylvania’s targeted industry cluster statistics, top five employing industries, job volume by county, the five most common occupations, and the most competitive industries.